Just to go off of the Glamour Magazine recipes that seem to work wonders, here is one that works wonders for your skin! This is another excerpt from the book 100 Recipes Every Woman Should Know .
Complexion Soup is Carrot Soup with Ginger. Glamour's beauty editors call carrots "the friendliest skin food around." They know carrots are packed with beta carotene, which repairs the skin, and loaded with vitamin C, an antioxidant that battles free radicals. It's a delicious way to get your skin fix and is perfect with a salad for lunch.
serves 2 to 3
2 tbsp. olive oil
1 tbsp. butter
2 garlic cloves, minced
1 medium white onion, diced (about 1 cup)
3 tbsp. minced fresh ginger
2 stalks fresh lemongrass, chopped into 1 inch pieces (or zest from 1 lemon)
1 tbsp. ground coriander
1 tsp. ground cumin
1 tsp. ground cinnamon
2 1/2 lbs. carrots peeled and chopped
3 1/2 cups water
4 cups vegetable stock
1/2 cup orange juice
1/2 cup light sour cream, plus 2 to 3 tsp. for garnish
Salt and freshly ground pepper, to taste
1 tsp. minced chives, for garnish
1. In a large stockpot, heat the oil and butter over high heat. Add the garlic, onion, ginger, lemongrass (or lemon zest), coriander, cumin and cinnamon. Cook for 5 minutes over medium heat, stirring constantly, until the onions soften, being careful not to let the mixture burn.
2. Increase the heat to moderately high. Add the carrots and 2 cups water to the stockpot, and cook, covered, for about 15 minutes, stirring occasionally, until the vegetables are softened.
3. Add the stock to the stockpot, and simmer for about 30 minutes.
4. Let the mixture cool for 5 minutes. Discard the pieces of lemongrass. Working in two batches, ladle the soup into a blender or food processor, and puree.
5. Pour the pureed soup back into the stock pot. Add the orange juice, 1 1/2 cups water and 1/2 cup sour cream. Stir until well blended. Add salt and pepper to taste.
6. Heat the mixture for 3 to 4 minutes over medium-low heat; you can also serve cold. Ladle the soup into bowls, and garnish each with 1 tsp. sour cream and a sprinkling of chives.
And enjoy your new glowing skin!